Named for New York City Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, LaGuardia Airport is located on a site that was originally a resort community called North Beach. The area became a private flying field in 1929 called the Glenn Curtis Airport. New York City took over the property in 1937 through the efforts Mayor LaGuardia.
Serving mostly domestic flights, the airport contributes billions to the city economy. It is run by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.