Zip Code 11385
Community Board 5
Germanian, St. James and East and South Williamsburgh were names given to this area until 1910 when Ridgewood became what it is now known as.
The area was settled by mostly German immigrants who farmed the land. In response to the grain and fruit that was grown breweries and beer gardens sprang up all over the Ridgewood area.
With the advent of Prohibition in 1919 the breweries and beer gardens closed but the German influence is still strong in the area.